1/26/2010

Back to Home

After 5 days in Maine with the in laws, I was more than happy to be back home. My training took a major beating (basically didn’t workout at all) during the time away. I was planning to workout on Monday but our flight was delayed and we landed really late, so I missed another day of training. Today (Tuesday) went to class at CrossfitDC expecting a grueling metcon. Our warm-up was 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 pushups, and 10 hyper extensions. 
For the strength portion of class, power cleans, Chris and I worked up to 186#. We did 2 cleans every 90 seconds for 10 rounds. Due to lack of practice (I think it’s been close to 3 weeks since I’ve done any cleans), my form for the first 8 rounds were not great at all. The 9th round was perfect and the on the 10th I increased weight to 207# and failed on the second attempt, but made up for it on the second. My wrists took a beating during this workout.
The met con part of the class was rough. The wod was AMRAP in 6 minutes of 3 Burpees, 6 Jumps squats, 3 Pushups, and 12 mountain climbers. Boy was this rough on the legs. If I counted correctly, I think Chris and I ended up with 11 total rounds.


This weekend is the Charlottesville Superfit games and I feel like I’m not physically and mentally where I want to be. I thought about just not going, but part of these competitions is the community. It’s a great experience and atmosphere enjoying what you do with other athletes that are most likely 10 times better than I am. I've discovered that the further I go from my home gym, I meet someone who's faster, stronger, and better than I am. Its great motivation to see where, with the right training, I could and should be.

2 comments:

SaltyHat said...

I second that sentiment - it's both daunting and exhilarating to be the little fish in the big pond rather than vice-versa. If nothing else, this weekend will serve to get my mind right for the upcoming CF spring season.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to hanging with you and Jen this weekend.

Steve Opiyo's Blog said...

thanks man. so are we