3/29/2010

Sectionals wrap up.

Had a wonderful weekend with the CrossfitDC crew at this past weekend's sectionals. We all gave our best but only Dan from CrossfitDC qualified to go represent us at the Regionals in May, and my buddy Josh Courage, who has a bike ride from California to DC starting this Thursday.
The first event was the weighted Cindy (amrap in 20 min of 5 pullups 10 pushups 15 squats all with a 20# vest). I have been training with a 40# vest the last couple of weeks so this was up my alley. My goal was to get 15 rounds, but i came up a little short. The pullups and squats were the easiest part, but the pushups got harder and harder everytime i did them.Its amazing how 20#  felt light the first 4 rounds, but really heavy after that. Finished 13 rounds, with 5 pullups, and 8 pushups. First place in this event finished with 20 completed rounds. Impressive! None of the exercises affected my knee :)


The 2nd event on Saturday was the clean & jerk at 185# for max reps in 3 mins. I am strong at this for single reps, but a 3 min amrap was going to be a challenge. The first couple of reps felt great and i think by the 5th rep i had to split jerk cause my knee started bothering me. Every rep after that was painful. I did a total of 13 reps, but only 10 counted towards my score. I couldnt get a complete lockout at the top of my last 3 reps, so they were not counted. Fisrt place finished with 20 total reps.
The 3rd event, first on Sunday, was an amrap in 12 minutes of 20 overhead squats at 115# and a 200m run. Only the overhead squats counted. This was my downfall of the weekend. I did the first round unbroken and my knee felt great. On the second round, my knee was not feeling it. I felt EVERY fu****g single rep in my knee. I was really tempeted to call it, but i refused to give up. Probably not smart but i refused to quit. I was able to finish 2 full rounds and i think maybe 10 last reps. Had to ice my knee right after, thanks to Steph and Chris for the ice. There was a ties for first place with both competitors finished 6 rounds (thats over 120 squats).
The final event for the weekend was another amrap of 12 box jumps 8 sumo high pulls at 95# in 7 minutes. This wod was up my alley. I was flying on the box jumps and the SHP the first 3 rounds. My legs felt heavier right after that. But feeding off the cheering section of CrossfitDC and my inlaws, i just had to keep going. Gave my all and i finished my heat in first place with 7 complete rounds, 12 box jumps, and 3 SHP. Felt great being in first place but that only lasted for about 5 minutes. The next heat of guys just tore this wod up. It was great to watch all the competitors and cheer them on. The guy who won this event did a 10 rounds and i think 6 box jumps. It was amazing to see this guy work.

I finished in 93rd place out of 180+ entries this past weekend. I know i could have broken the top 30 if my knee would have held up. Oh well. Next up is the team event in May, and i think the Mid-Atlantic hopper in October. looking forward to some much needed rest this week, and then its back to the drawing board the following week.
Special thanks to the CrossfitDC crew that came this weekend to support us. We couldnt have done all this without your support. And thanks Chris for all the camera work.



4 comments:

Josh Courage said...

A great weekend all around Steve! I know you would have tore up all those WODs with a 100% knee, I look forward to some more great sessions with you and the crew when I get back from the ride. And don't forget about my competition I'm hosting in June, I think you'll do damn well in it!

Josh Courage

edgy reggie said...

Steve, I commend you for your efforts and for your never-say-die attitude at sectionals. You hung in there and gave it your all.

Get some rest, and I'll see you back at CFDC.

Steve Opiyo's Blog said...

Thanks guys for everything. For always pushing me when i always want to quit. You guys are an inspiration and look forward to working out again.

GrĂ¡ said...

Hey only seeing this now, well done!! Shame about the knee though, hope it improves soon.